Wednesday, March 25, 2020

We made the second video today. We worked more clearing the sundial/ medicine wheel for the video.

Since I am out of yeast and not going to the store, I finally make sourdough starter. I usually make bread for pizza once a week.  Years ago before I let my sourdough starter die, I would make all the bread- loaf bread, arabic bread, english muffins, biscuits, pizzas, etc.  I made bread for 5 years running at least! I even had the kids grind the grain when Mosquito was in 3rd grade.  My new starter will take 10 days to be mature enough to stop daily feeding.  Since I am lazy, I don't measure anything. I simply mix flour (rye and white) with water to a pancake batter consistency, put in a small crock and place on the back of my stove.  I am not lazy about the water for my starter.  Chlorine will kill the wild yeast, so I take the time to let the tap water sit out overnight to off gas chlorine before mixing it to make the starter.  Cob-weaver is amazed that yeast are floating all around us to be captured just by stirring flour and water.

Sara tried to roost on the floor of the coop. I moved her onto a stick.  I don't want her to get pooped on.

At night there is a hailstorm.  I'm worried about the bunnies but glad the school chickens are here instead of the drafty school coop.

Sourdough Starter


Mix flour and water into a thick pancake batter consistency with chlorine-free water to make about 1 cup.  Cover and set in a warm place.  To feed, make 1/2 cup fresh batter daily and add to it 1/2 cup of starter.  Discard spent starter or use for making breads.  Continue daily for 10 days.  After 10 days, and if your starter seems healthy, you may keep it in the fridge and feed only once per week.


Farmer Ladybug 🐞

No comments:

Post a Comment