Monday, March 30, 2020

I may be too lazy for sourdough starter.  I am supposed to feed it every day, but have only managed to do it two times in 5 days.  Another problems is that I don't like throwing away the spent dough, but am too lazy to make bread every day.  But this morning, I fed the sourdough and made biscuits with the old dough.  It looks fine, even though, as usual, I haven't followed directions perfectly.  The dough is bubbly and the biscuits tasted sour and chewy.  I don't think its strong enough to rise a loaf of bread yet, but making biscuits was easy. I can manage that every day..... I think.

Farmer Hummingbird brought over lots more romaine lettuce heads today.  I'll need to clear some space and cut back the hedge that is shading my garden to plant them.

It's been 6 days since I planted the marigold seeds.  Still no sign of green....

Sara needed help again roosting. Maybe I'll stop writing about it, and just tell you the days she does roost properly.

There was a ladybug on my pillow tonight when I went to bed.  I thanked her and helped her go outside.


Everyday Biscuits

From Lean, Luscious and Meatleass by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder
I put in the starter and added flour to it to get the right quantity.

1-1/2 cups of flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil or butter
1/2 cup milk

  1. Preheat oven to 450F
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and if desired, other herbs you might like (eg. dill, marjaram, thyme, garlic)
  3. Add oil with fork until crumbly
  4. Add milk so that you have a dough you can handle, not too sticky
  5. Press out on a floured board to desired thickness and cut with round cutters, or make drop biscuits by placing handfuls and pressing directly onto your ungreased cookie sheet.
  6. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned


🐞Farmer Ladybug

2 comments:

  1. We have a starter called Gerald. Our chicken Amelia roosts in a nesting box not the perch. I don't know why maybe she's lazy. Cailin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Centipede, some chickens just do that. Popcorm seems to like the nesting box too.

      Delete